Launch supports the creation of new companies (spin-offs) in the Brussels-Capital Region in order to economically promote the results of scientific research.
It enables the financing of projects, the objectives of which are:
- to study the conditions of the industrial and commercial implementation of the results obtained with a view to the creation of a new economic activity in the Brussels-Capital Region.
- to finalise the development of a product, process or innovative service based on the results obtained during earlier research;
Those able to benefit from Launch aid are universities and higher education institutions which fulfil the following conditions:
- develop all or some of its activities within the territory covered by the Brussels-Capital Region
- present a project, the aim of which is to finalise the development of a product, process or innovative service based on the results obtained during earlier research
- the project must be supported by a researcher-entrepreneur who holds a long-term type teaching diploma and by a promoter who is professor or an experienced researcher from the institution which submits the application.
- have the support of at least two sponsors from the economic world in charge of guiding the entrepreneur-researcher for aspects concerning the project’s economic promotion
- demonstrate that the project is likely to lead to economic promotion through the creation of a company
- show that the project is likely to have a favourable impact on the economy, employment and/or sustainable development of the Brussels-Capital Region
- have fulfilled its obligations in the context of previous support initiatives allocated by the Region.
Type and duration of financial intervention
Financial aid may be allocated as a grant. It covers a period of two years. This period may be extended by 1 year.
Under exceptional circumstances, a fourth year may be obtained.
Financial aid covers 100% of the project’s costs.
Evaluation of applications
Each admissible project is evaluated by a jury of scientific experts as well as an expert from the economic sector and/or an expert in enterprise creation.
The evaluation is based on the analysis of the documents submitted by the applicant and an interview by the jury.
The evaluation criteria are as follows:
- innovative character and scientific quality
- the project’s feasibility (technological and scientific risks to overcome, methodology and planning)
- the candidate’s entrepreneurial spirit (the candidate’s ability to undertake all of the tasks needed to launch the spin-off)
- the candidate’s supervision (research environment, promoter’s competences, profiles and involvement of sponsors and the interface)
- the economic potential (response to a demand from the sector targeted, feasibility of the promotion, value creation and employment plan in the Brussels-Capital Region).
For further information about the conditions of this aid, consult its Rules.
Companies and collective research centres may also benefit from Launch aid in order to create a Spin-off. For further information about the conditions of this aid, see the corresponding page here.
Innoviris contact personAline Grosfils
Strategic Research Team
Tél. +32 2 600 50 66