The Doctiris programme aims to encourage partnerships between the academic sector and the industrial/economic sector in the Brussels-Capital Region.
Through a call for projects, the programme aims to finance doctoral thesis projects in applied research carried out in collaboration with an industrial partner (in-enterprise doctorate). This implies that the researcher spends at least 50% of the project’s duration with the partner-company. The research organisation is the beneficiary of the financial intervention.
During the project’s implementation, the researcher is supervised by his promoter in the research organisation and by a sponsor in the partner-company.
Ultimately, the doctoral theses financed must make a positive contribution to the development of the economy and employment in the Brussels-Capital Region.
You may benefit from Doctiris aid if:
- the application research organisation (university, higher education institution or research centre) has at least one head office in the Brussels-Capital Region.
- the candidate is a Belgian or foreign research hired by the research organisation and with a qualification which allows him to study for a doctorate. the researcher must not have been registered for a doctorate before submitting the project.
- the researcher spends at least 50% of the project’s duration within the company.
- an experienced professor or researcher from the research organisation is the candidate’s promoter.
- the partner-company is a company which has at least one operating office in the Brussels-Capital Region. The “in-enterprise” part (50% of the project) will be implemented at one of the Brussels operating offices.
- at the partner companies premises, the candidate is supervised by a sponsor, one of the enterprise’s staff members. The sponsor has a high level of scientific and technological expertise
The project’s promoter (a professor or researcher from the applicant research organisations) submits the project for approval to its authority which submits it to Innoviris in the name of its research organisation May 15, 2017 at the very latest using the form available in the French and Dutch version of the website.
Your funding application must pre-date the candidate’s registration for the doctorate.
On this subject, please contact the “Interface” department (Technological Transfer Office – TTO) of the research organisation hosting the candidate. The interface’s representative helps with the project’s preparation, relations between the project’s academic and industrial partners and coordinates the submission of applications to Innoviris.
Type and duration of financial intervention
Financial aid may be allocated as a grant.
It covers a period of two years:
- the researcher’s remuneration (100%)
- operating costs of the host laboratory (research organisation)
- administrative costs for the institution
The funding period of two years is renewable once for a maximum of two years (doctoral project for a total maximum period of four years)
Evaluation of applications
Each admissible project is evaluated by a jury of scientific experts.
The evaluation is based on the analysis of the documents submitted by the applicant and an interview by the jury.
The evaluation criteria are as follows
- innovative character, originality
- the project’s feasibility (technological and scientific risks to overcome, methodology and planning)
- suitability of the candidate to the project
- supervision (research environment, promoter, sponsor, synergy between the partners)
- prospects for the promotion of the results (academic promotion, integration into the activities of the partner enterprise, etc. and potential impact of this promotion on the economy, employment and environment of the Brussels Region.
Innoviris contact person
Tel. +32 2 600 50 70